Click on any photo to see it larger.

Monday, April 26, 2010

I tried a new recipe last night that was so fantastic that I have to share it! Normally, even though I love to eat shrimp, I avoid cooking shrimp at home because I just can't seem to get it right and they taste terrible.

Well, last night, I got it right! Maybe it was just that I bought some better shrimp than I usually find. WINCO had some really nice jumbo wild shrimp. Don't know if it was because they were wild or jumbo or whatever it was, but they were so good!

The recipe is a soup, but since it was mostly brothy, I served it over rice. It has red curry paste, which I have never used, I thought it was going to be spicy, but it was not, only a medium curry flavor that didn't overpower the coconut milk. I have one more serving left for my lunch, I can't wait!


Here goes:

Coconut Shrimp Soup
3 cups chicken broth (I used 3 c water and 3 tea MSG free bouillon)
1 14-0z can unsweetened light coconut milk
1 tsp red curry paste
1 T fish sauce (I didn't have any, so I used oyster sauce)
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tea minced garlic
1/2 tea salt
1 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
2 scallions (green onions) sliced very thin
a sprig or two of fresh cilantro, chopped

1. In a medium pot over medium high heat, combine chicken broth, coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
2. Add green beans and cook 2 min. Add shrimp and 1/2 of scallions and cook until pink, about 5 min.
3.Put a cup of rice in bottom of bowl, pour soup over, top with the rest of the scallions and cilantro. Makes 3-4 servings.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment