Click on any photo to see it larger.

Saturday, February 28, 2009



Thanks, Chele!



Memories. We all have memories of things, moments, foods, good times, bad times, traditions, trips, all those things. But what is interesting to me is how things that are considered MY memories are also someone else's memories just as much as mine. And how those memories are always there and kinda forgotten until somebody else pulls them to the front of your mind again. That is what happened to me today. My cousin Chele was reminiscing in an email about a trip we took with our Grandparents way back when she was 6, which would have made me about 11. I just looked at some pictures and they are dated 1967. OK, so it has been a few years...try 42, since we took that trip! No wonder those pictures are a bit fuzzy. Grandma and Grandpa McCool loaded my two sisters and me and my cousin Michelle, (now called Chele), into their truck and camper and off we went to Yellowstone Park. It was a really fun time. That was back in the days of no seat belts and rules, like I would ride up front with Grandma and Grandpa and the kids would ride in the back in the camper. Now, I'm talking, camper... not one of those over the cab type, it was just an over the bed of the truck, camper. When we stopped for the night, I got to sleep alone up in the cab and the rest of them slept in the camper. It was a fun trip. For us kids. I wonder how it was for Grandma and Grandpa. We went farther away from home than any of us kids had ever been before. We saw the Snake River, buffalo, bears, deer, Old Faithful erupt along with a few other geysers and the lava beds in Eastern Oregon. I kept a diary the whole way through and it is funny to read it now. I have not done that in a long time, I need to pull it back out of my trunk. Well, one of the things that Chele reminded me of was while we were on this trip, Grandma would mix honey into the peanut butter jar and make us the best sandwiches. The whole entire morning, all I could think of is 'peanutbuttermixedwithhoney' sandwiches. Fortunately for me, I have both in the cupboard, so guess what I just had for lunch?

You got it! It tasted as good as my memory had left it, which is not true for all memories.




1 comment:

  1. That's the way I still make my peanut butter sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete