Click on any photo to see it larger.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Christmas music on the 4th of January. Strange to us, since once Christmas Day is over, it is on to New Years and the tree is down and the season is done with. If anyone still turns on their Christmas lights after the 1st we make fun of them. (Well, I do anyway). Well there I sat at a Christmas Cantata on Tuesday night. The church was packed full, they had to bring in extra chairs and line them up at the ends of the pews and then make rows of them in the back. It was FULL! To my surprise the choir was really good, they had a little screen at the side going with slides, a narrator between songs with his microphone screeching. I should have enjoyed it more, but my mind was doing what I think is the typical American thing...I was thinking how much better it would be if they could only have a bigger church, matching pews, walls and ceiling that were painted right, (right=my way) windows with screens to keep out the mosquitoes, and get rid of those fluorescent lights and what about an air conditioner instead of those 20 ceiling fans? Why is it that we always think our way is better? now that is what I thought about the building, but my mind also had them using those huge in-wall screens for the presentation and sound equipment that does not screech and make you cover your ears and a stage big enough to fit the choir, there must have been 50 of them up there in their white robes with golden collars...the band has to be on the floor. If only there was a way to get them money for such improvements... Right there in my whole redesign scheme...the lights went out. The lights go out in Jessi's town about once a day, it is normal to everyone there. That is when the best part of the whole program happened. It was just after they had begun a song...and without missing a beat...they all kept right on singing, no music, no slide show, not a ray of light coming from anywhere, not a murmur or snicker from anyone in the audience, the sound of those voices singing out Christmas songs was such a gift it gave me goosebumps. All the things I was thinking they needed to make it better and suddenly what they did have was taken away and with only the voices God gave them, it was the most beautiful thing of all. Just voices. What a blessing to have been a part of that. p.s. the backup power came on in time for the next song. From then on, my mind stopped redecorating.

No comments:

Post a Comment