Click on any photo to see it larger.

Sunday, March 15, 2009


I've been going through the recipes from Molly's cookbook and decided that I should try one of her bundt cakes. The way she describes them makes them even more enticing...like it is not only a bundt cake, no, it is topped with a fresh orange topping you make up and serve while it is all warm. It just makes you want to sink your teeth in right now! The one I thought I should try first was one with blue berries and raspberries. Since I have a freezer full of berries from the garden last summer, I figured it would work out perfectly, even though I was not sure if frozen would work in the recipe, I think it was written for fresh ones. But then I looked over the recipe once more before I started and wouldn't you know it...I'm fresh out of Kirsch (well, we did have a bottle once when our friends from Switzerland brought us one when they visited)...and the liquor store is closed on Sunday. OK, so I decided to make the Buttermilk Vanilla Bundt..oh, no...I don't have a vanilla bean. So I decided to go to the store and get one...also, take a look and see if there is any kirsch in the wine section...(there was not)...BUT! Did you know that ONE vanilla bean is $14.99??? No way! For one cake? I have to find a better place to buy them. Since they grow them in the Dominican Republic, I am going to see if Jessi can get them for me and send them here...even with international postage, I am sure that it is not going to cost $15 dollars to make a cake. So I came home and remembered that magneted to the fridge is a recipe for a bundt cake that I ripped out of the Oregonian last week. Tiger Cake is what it is called. Chocolate and vanilla swirl. It sounded kinda different...well, REALLY different...it has you use olive oil instead of the regular oil and of all things...WHITE PEPPER. Pepper in a cake? Well, I do have white pepper (and it did not cost anything near $15), so why not? I gave it a try. It is fantastic! I can taste the pepper, but it is not like it tastes like pepper but it is sweet like a cake should be, kinda hard to describe what I mean, but it is GOOD. It was such a surprise when I sliced off a piece and there were all those swirls. When I layered it into the pan, I really didn't expect it to swirl the way the recipe said it would. But it really does just do its own thing in the oven like it said it would.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Looks great! Yeah, vanilla beans are VERY expensive. Too bad you don't live closer though...I've got some kirsch...I use it for black forest cake and fondue...

    ReplyDelete